- Contestants must be residents of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Jefferson, Lewis, Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, St. Lawrence, Warren, or Washington Counties.
- The Competition is open to instrumentalists in grades 9 through 12. This includes Woodwinds, Brass, Strings, Keyboard, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
- Contestants must be prepared to play a piece or movement from the Repertoire List FROM MEMORY. The length of the work is limited to 15 minutes or one movement. Please click here for the repertoire list.
- Contestants must provide their own accompanist and must audition in person. No tapes of accompaniments permitted.
- Contestants must bring one copy of their audition piece (solo part and piano reduction or score) to the auditions.
- At the discretion of the judges, contestants may be interrupted or subjected to time restrictions.
- Parents, teachers, and friends are invited and encouraged to attend the Competition.
- The decision of the judges is final and the judges reserve the right not to award any level of the prizes.
- The first place winner MUST be available for performances with The Orchestra of Northern New York on March 17, 2018. The audition piece will serve as the performance piece.
- Second & Third Prize winners must be present at the March 17, 2018 concert to receive prize monies.
- Entries must be post-marked by January 26, 2018. No late entries will be accepted.
Each entry must include:
A. Completed Application/Teacher Certification Form. Only completed forms will be considered. Click here for an application form.
B. Non-refundable application fee of $50 made payable to The Orchestra of Northern New York.
- All photos taken are the property of The Orchestra of Northern New York and may be used for publicity purposes.
- Mail completed application form and entry fee to:
The Orchestra of Northern New York
Attn: Young Artists Instrumental Competition
P.O. Box 488
Potsdam, NY 13676